On June 5, 1893, thirty-one charter members met for the first time as Portland Monthly Meeting. The meeting, held in a recently purchased school house near East Harrison and Marguerite Ave, was the first gathering of Friends in Portland, Oregon. In 1904, the meeting moved to a newly constructed meeting house at 35th and Main.
During its first 80 years, Portland Monthly Meeting (later First Friends) had a remarkable history and five new meetings sprang forth from the vision of the meeting: Second Friends (in Lents) in 1909, Piedmont Friends in 1913, Metolius Friends in 1954, Lynwood Friends in 1958, and Clackamas Park Friends in 1965.
In 1970, First Friends moved into a newly constructed facility in the Reed neighborhood (our current location) and became Reedwood Friends. In 1993, Reedwood celebrated one hundred years as a community.